Whether you appreciate winter or desire the warmer months in Beaverton, a lot of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be switched out. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a useful tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. An expert at Garoken Energy Co. Inc. can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Garoken Energy Co. Inc. in Beaverton a call to get started. Contact our team at 503-374-1934 or book an appointment with us online.