The changing weather in Beaverton can mean a variety of things, from the changing seasons to flipping off the switch of your air conditioner for the colder months. Of course, total home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re predestined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner fails to work or you notice it acting strangely, there are a couple things you can check on before calling in the pros at Garoken Energy Co. Inc. for AC repair. Here are a couple troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a call.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the easiest checks that homeowners can do themselves, and might solve the concern more than they’d like to admit. Ensure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Set to be around room temperature
- Working with a newer battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act erratically, making them shut down without notice and without making a peep. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for many AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can change it yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and harms airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
Nearly all of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Close to the air conditioner itself and typically look like your everyday light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Find the breaker that controls your air conditioner and determine if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then switch it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A routine error among homeowners is to close vents in unused rooms, but this may actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents could potentially cause your system to be less efficient and turn off because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve done these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back operating, it’s probably time to give us a call. The team at Garoken Energy Co. Inc. in Beaverton are here to make sure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 503-374-1934 to set up an appointment with us.